Diary of a Newbie Novelist

By JaneIsaac Uncategorized 8 Comments on Diary of a Newbie Novelist

This week my fledgling flew the nest. Like any mother, I wanted to wrap my arms around her, tell her she wasn’t ready, that she needed to grow more, to develop. But I knew it wasn’t true. She was ready. It was just a matter of letting go.

After a week of burning the candle, proof reading, I emailed my script for the last time. The next time I see her she’ll have a cover on her, all grown up and ready to make her way into the world. Whilst it is a scary prospect, I know it’s inevitable. I can’t keep her with me forever.

Throughout this process, I have been asked the same question several times: Why choose the traditional route over self publishing? Hmmm. When I embarked on this adventure, I had no idea what publishing entailed. I may not receive all the royalties for my book, but for me, at this point in my writing journey, I received something much more valuable: a training.

Together we have navigated the realms of editing, distribution, cover art, formatting. I have been nurtured into the book world, grown into a seedling, and for that I am very grateful. My publisher has had to put up with ridiculous questions in the middle of the night (luckily he’s eight hours behind me!), manouvoured the constraints of time zones for Skype meetings, and provided valuable advice on marketing.

Aside from that, Rainstorm authors have their own Face book club, where we can chat, debate, exchange ideas and support one another. Many of us are Newbies, navigating this journey together for the first time, and their support feels like a baby’s comfort blanket.

The debate over which way to jump will, no doubt, continue. But I am happy with my choice. Can’t wait to watch my baby grow and flourish in the world.

Add Note: You can read an excerpt from An Unfamiliar Murder on my new website at www.janeisaac.co.uk  It would be great to see some of you there!

Jane Isaac’s first novel, An Unfamiliar Murder, will be released by Rainstorm Press in February 2012. Jane is still very much a Newbie and with a day job, a family and a very demanding black Labrador, she squeezes her writing into every spare moment she gets. Join her on the rocky road from pen to publication!

• Dionne
    Posted on January 18, 2012 at 9:16 am

Oh, Jane, you must be a proud parent 🙂 As a writer I would have loved my work to be validated by a traditional publisher (I think we all would) so you should be so proud you have one. Since mine wasn’t at least I have self publishing to fall back on. Either way we’re achieving our ultimate goal – to get our books out there for someone to read and hopefully like. Congrats on being one of the lucky ones 🙂 you deserve it! ~hugs~

• Anne
    Posted on January 18, 2012 at 10:11 am

Congratulations Jane,
    That is so exciting for you. I read your excerpt and loved it.
    Anne

• JaneIsaac
    Posted on January 18, 2012 at 10:23 am

Thank you Dionne for your lovely comments and support, as always. You’ll be feeling the same very soon when your edits are done. A very exciting time for all of us.

• JaneIsaac
    Posted on January 18, 2012 at 10:27 am

Hey Anne! Thank you so much for taking the time to read the blog and excerpt, and for your kind comments. It is a thrilling time and it’s great to share it with my friends at Newbies.

• Tammy Maas
    Posted on January 19, 2012 at 2:47 am

I’m so thankful for Rainstorm too and agree with everything you said. Some aren’t as lucky as we are, to have a person like Lyle to work with. The giant publishing companies would no way have spent the time with us that Rainstorm has. Also Rainstorm is how I found you….so now we can share this journey together. I know that sounds sappy but we are just newbie writers in the big frightening world of publishing! I can’t wait to read your book – I know it will do great. Best of luck to you : )

Posted on January 19, 2012 at 3:38 am

Hey Tammy – Thanks so much for your kind comments and support. It’s great that we are in this together:)

• Susi Holliday
    Posted on January 24, 2012 at 2:13 am

Hey Jane, I am still so excited for you – I even have my hubby excited for you, he keeps asking, ‘How’s Jane?’ LOL

Also, I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award! You need to read the page on my blog for details… Beware, it’s a bit time consuming but an nice accolade to share… http://www.sjiholliday.blog.com

Posted on January 24, 2012 at 7:30 am

Hey, Susie!

You are so sweet, thank you:) Hope you and your husband enjoy the book.

I’ll have to look out for the details on your blog:)