Hello everyone. What a busy month it’s been. So much has happened since Christmas: my husband’s birthday, our anniversary, Lockie started school, and a new approach to discipline turned our little devil, Violet, into an only slightly unpleasant terrible-two-er.

But some crappy stuff happened too. Hubby went away for a weekend with the guys and lost hundreds of dollars’ worth of fishing gear (and copped a good whack with a kayak paddle). He’s also facing a dilemma regarding his work situation with a previous employer who is keen to entice him back to a bigger and better role.

This afternoon topped it all off. I had a call from Peyton’s day care centre saying that she has a bit of a fever and was basically sick and miserable. While I was talking to Miss Stacey, I grabbed my keys and my bag and headed outside.

I should have continued directly to my car but my eyes fell upon Buster’s food bowl. While I was mentally running through all the things I still needed to do this afternoon, I decided that now would be the easiest time to feed Buster since in the afternoon rush I would likely forget. As my phone call with Miss Stacey ended, I slipped my phone into the pocket on the front of my handbag and leaned down to scoop some dog biscuits out of their waterproof container. As I struggled with the handle, my handbag shifted slightly on my shoulder. Gravity did the rest.

My phone fell with a nice little ‘plop’ straight into Buster’s water bowl.

Quick as a flash I grabbed it and tried to dry the water (and disgusting dog saliva!) off, but it was too late. My precious lifeline to the outside world was completely drenched.

Unable to believe my luck, I trudged over to the car to pick up Peyton, but first pulled my phone apart in some foolishly optimistic hope that by letting it dry out everything would be fine. After collecting my poor little bubby, I doubled back to pick up Lachlan from school. All the while my phone was sitting in pieces on the front passenger seat.

Since my silly mistake I’ve been torn between reassembling my phone to see if it works and leaving it in pieces for a bit longer. After all, as long as I don’t put it together I don’t know whether it’s working or not, and therefore don’t have to be upset.

After settling Peyton for a nap and distracting Lockie with some toys I decided now would be as good a time as any to vent some of the frustration by sharing what had happened. I logged onto Facebook and divulged my terrible news. Immediately my mother wrote back asking, “Does it still work?”

Silly me. I thought I’d had enough little accidents for one day. Little did I know that the moment that I reached for my mouse to type a reply explaining my Schrödinger’s Cat-like theory about the condition of my phone, I would clumsily knock over the full glass of Coke.

In conclusion ladies and gentlemen, I have one sick baby, one probably-broken mobile phone, an entire desk’s worth of paperwork stained with soft drink and thrown in the bin, plus sticky spots all over the kitchen and lounge room floor from my frantic attempts to wipe up the mess.

Phew. At least some of the frustration has lifted by the simple act of writing it all down. But now that I’ve told you all how much of a klutz I am, I better get back to the task of tidying up.

At least the Coke didn’t spill onto my computer….

————————————————————————————
Emma is a freelance editor and writer who got her start at Newbie Writers two years ago. In her previous career she was an accountant, but escaped the numbers game to envelop herself in the literary world.

Emma’s Exceptional Editing & Proofreading
info@exceptionalediting.com.au
www.exceptionalediting.com.au
Follow me on Twitter: @EEEandP

Posted on February 15, 2012 at 3:51 am

Hey Emma! I have days like that. Just need to go to bed and put it behind you, bless you. Hope the family and phone are feeling better now. Best wishes x

• Damien
    Posted on February 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

You should try and put your phone back together. You did the right thing by ripping the battery out.

As for clumsy days, I have that often. Recently I was repairing a projector and had the cover off of the main optics assembly. This is the heart of the projector, mirrors and lenses. I was struggling with a small screw and placed my hand on it for leverage next thing i hear: “pop!”

Cracked a mirror with my finger. Bad news as you cant order replacements. Lucky for me I had a client with the same projector that he wanted to throw away! So i swapped out said broken bits LOL. Still, I’m a clutz.

Julians sick too. Apparently there is a crazy gastro bug going around all the schools (from what other schools have told me). My wife and I cringe when we hear “mummy, mummy, there’s poo on the floor” and wander down the hall to the nightmare on elm street.

Damien

• EditorProofer
    Posted on February 15, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Jane. Did just that and am feeling much better about things today.
    🙂

• EditorProofer
    Posted on February 15, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Haha Damien, well that makes me feel a bit better. I did put it back together and it had a 15-20 second delay when I pressed any buttons (both normal and touchscreen), so I pulled it all apart again and left for another couple of hours. Next time I put it together it started working properly.

Sorry to hear about Julian. When you sign on to be a parent, all of a sudden there are so many disgusting things that come with it. Oh sure, you know there’ll be nappies to change and occassional bouts of illness, but nothing quite prepares you for the cleanup required after projectile vomits and poos all over the house! It’s amazing how far (and how high up the walls) bodily fluids can reach. LOL

• Dee
    Posted on February 16, 2012 at 4:13 am

‘Murphy’s visits’ are never few and far enough between are they? Hope your phone works when you assemble it!

• Jennifer Sosniak
    Posted on February 17, 2012 at 11:22 am

So, does it work? 😉

• EditorProofer
    Posted on February 17, 2012 at 11:35 am

Thanks Dee and Jennifer. Yes, it does seem to be ok now. I just left it pulled apart for a long while and then put it back together.

I did receive some strange advice. One lady recommended I put the phone in a bowl of rice overnight, and someone else said I should put it in the freezer for 24 hours then in the sun. I didn’t try either of those though!!

• Damien
    Posted on February 17, 2012 at 4:29 pm

The concept of the rice is that it absorbs water. You could also bury it in kitty litter or the sachets you get with new shoes. Silica absorbs moisture. Oddly enough by the time you go to such lengths the device could be damaged. Water short circuits components and this is what kills them. Removing the power source (battery) ASAP is the only option.

• Justin Bogdanovitch
    Posted on February 17, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Who knew? Great advice if a similar happenstance occurs — phone thrown into a margarita in Hawaii by Amber, perhaps: Stop tweeting, Justin.

• Damien
    Posted on February 18, 2012 at 8:16 am

So this Hawaii trip the group keeps talking about. I picture the group sitting on deck chairs, on the beach, umbrellas in drinks…. And the sound of ‘tap tap tap’ from iPhones as you all tweet.

• Justin Bogdanovitch
    Posted on March 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

In Hawaii, Damien, we’ll all be taking to each other by tweets even from a lounge chair away LOL