Horrified.

Alarmed.

Shocked.

Appalled.

Disgusted.

Well, you get the idea. I’m almost too ashamed to admit my problem, but as the ‘ever-so-wise’ Dr Phil says, “You can’t change what you don’t acknowledge.”

I dream in text speak.

There, I said it. That’s right, a few nights ago I awoke from a dream to the awful realisation that I had been conversing throughout my dream in LOLs, LMAOs, BRBs and L8Rs. And not the actual words “laugh out loud”, “laugh my arse off”, etc., I dream-laughed by speaking the words “Loll” and “l’mouw” (or “l’mayo”) with a smile on my face.

I tried to convince myself that since my subconscious mind was the one guilty of this deplorable act, I shouldn’t be held accountable. Unfortunately, it didn’t end there…

Obsessing over my newly discovered failing, I came to a second, even more horrifying conclusion: I sometimes think in text speak too! If I’m remembering a funny little moment or planning something I’m going to say to someone, I may go beyond having a quiet chuckle to myself, and silently utter that atrocious word: l o l l.

Thank goodness it hasn’t seeped into my writing (yet!) But I am finding a little shiver runs down my spine whenever I use ‘text speak’ in an actual text message, informal email or instant message. Sadly, no matter how hard I try I can’t seem to use social media without them, or their evil cousin – the emoticon 🙁 .

————————————————————————————
Emma is a freelance editor and writer who got her start at Newbie Writers two years ago. In her previous career she was an accountant, but escaped the numbers game to envelop herself in the literary world.

Emma’s Exceptional Editing & Proofreading
info@exceptionalediting.com.au
www.exceptionalediting.com.au
Follow me on Twitter: @EEEandP

• Wistful
    Posted on June 3, 2012 at 11:47 am

Lol (and in my head, that’s ‘loll’ not ‘L-O-L’) Emma, I find I do the same!! Lol is quite a useful little word, I don’t think there’s an actual ‘real’ word or phrase that means quite the same thing. Perhaps it’s an eword?? 🙂

• EditorProofer
    Posted on June 3, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Thanks for the comment Wistful. Glad I’m not the only one!

• Damien
    Posted on June 3, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Can you both email me your addresses and phone numbers. I need to call this in. I’m officially committing you both. Maybe hospital first. Mental institution next.

• EditorProofer
    Posted on June 4, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Don’t worry Damien, I’m just as concerned as you are.

Posted on June 5, 2012 at 1:15 am

I know what you mean, Emma. I almost put LOL in a business email last week. Just stopped myself in time! This cyber/text world is scary – it’s developing a whole new language.

• Wistful
    Posted on June 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I would normally say ‘lol Damian’ but I don’t want to be committed so I will have to say ‘I read what you wrote Damian – it was funny, and actually I do agree with you’!! A lol is so much easier!

It’s weird though, I don’t mind lol but I hate l8r and ur and b4. Especially ur, I can’t help reading it as ‘errrrrr’ or ‘yerrrrrr’.

• Mia Kaella
    Posted on June 7, 2012 at 9:20 pm

OMG! I’m not the only one. I often find myself talking text saying ‘LOL, that’s so funny!’ I need help also 😉

• EditorProofer
    Posted on June 9, 2012 at 9:07 am

Thanks for the comment Mia. Maybe Damien is the odd one out, not us?