Rialto bridge

It seems that you either earn a high Klout score by grace of your relentless social management, or you are churning your own butter. There is currently no middle ground.  There does not seem to be a centrist way of managing the on line world.

For instance,  I was thrown out of a tribe devoted to re-tweeting and spreading influence because I wasn’t doing  the RT and talking and sharing enough. It’s difficult for me, I used to be thrown out of class for re-sharing, passing notes and talking too loudly.

Also, I was vacationing in Europe for two weeks.  It was during that silence that it was determined I was not pulling my weight – and asked to quietly leave the tribe.  Tweeting – breathing.  All the time.  Got it.

I am not wired to automatically tweet everything I do and re tweet everything everyone else does.  I have to still choose where my attention is focused.  If I am riding a water   taxi across the Venetian lagoon, the choice is to concentrate on the phone and messaging this remarkable experience that I am not (sorry) really experiencing because I’m tweeting you – mysterious other people who may or may not care.  OR I can look up, feel the wind in my hair, watch   the sun dancing on the water, see  the buildings of San Marco Plaza receded  as the island of Murano rises up.

I want to experience it for myself. I am less inclined to experience it on your behalf.

Was wading through the flooded St. Marcos Plaza at midnight  and forgetting to send the photograph to the twitter tribe worth getting tossed out the following week?

Oh my, yes.

• RachelintheOC
    Posted on October 23, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Nobody wants to feel pressured, Catharine. I’ve been in several tribes and the one constant is this: some people are more inclined to follow each other and share than others. The founders of Triberr make it very clear: if people are not pulling their weight, give them the option to step up or let them go. We all benefit when the effort is shared, which is why it’s such a great community. The weight, if you will, is shared.

Triberr isn’t for everyone. I’ve experienced that with several people. It is an effort that many people just simply cannot fit into their schedule and I get that. I’m always sorry to see people leave.

I hope you’ll give it another chance, either with the tribe you were in or a new one (or start your own!). Social media is now a critical part of any author or businessperson’s platform, like it or not. Though of course, nobody says you must tweet from Italy!

My take, anyway.

Be well!

• Justin Bogdanovitch (@JustinBog)
    Posted on October 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I second what Rachel says, Catharine, and would love you to know I care for you in your writing life. Triberr didn’t work out for you, or my tribe didn’t, and there was a minimal standard — but nothing personal either. I will continue to support you, Newbiewriters, and the lovely, informative, and fun podcast. You have a sharp writing and teaching mind, and you are a thoughtful presence there, and I love listening. How you choose to spend your time is your own, and no one is telling you how to spend your days on social media, especially not me. I would never say what content to write about to anyone, especially blog content. Vacations are wonderful and people take them. Triberr or the other social media worlds are not what I think of when I’m on vacation either — time is the quantity important to each and every one of us. Again, nothing personal either; your vacation sounds lovely but was not part of any reasoning on my part either as I spoke to you about this tribal stuff by Twitter DM. There was a disconnect from the beginning between Triberr and how you engaged there, and I’m not talking about conversing there at tribal council — people can comment there or not at all, but sharing everyone’s blog posts is paramount and this was covered in full last spring. I’m talking about how many of your mates’ posts you chose to share over the summer since spring. To quote your words above: “I am not wired to automatically tweet everything I do and re tweet everything everyone else does. I have to still choose where my attention is focused.” This “unwired mindset” had continued since Spring when I first mentioned being part of a tribe and engaging/sharing in a fair manner. No one gets dinged for going on sabbatical. Jane disconnected while writing her second book, but will return to the tribe when time allows. Triberr is about sharing and sharing alike with a supportive group — musketeers in my opinion: all for one and one for all. There was no ill-wind blowing and certainly not because of your taking a fabulous vacation. I wish you well though and always will. I formed my own tribe with like-minded individuals who love writing and also love to support other writers in their journey, and being fair and sharing equally is paramount. Being fair and sharing mean more to me in any tribe and this is what was muddled in your situation.

• Ciara Ballintyne
    Posted on October 24, 2012 at 12:42 am

A member of a tribe I run is currently overseas. I sent her on her vacation with my blessing and have every reason to expect to welcome her back on her return. I personally tweeted on my last holiday, locally in Australia, but have very little intention of doing so on my next overseas holiday. In fact, although I took my phone with me on my last overseas holiday, I only turned it on once a day to check for messages from home. A holiday is… well… a holiday, isn’t it?

• catharinebramkamp
    Posted on October 31, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Thank you for that! It’s sometimes just too much for a human to keep up with!

• catharinebramkamp
    Posted on October 31, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Thank you Justin! I really appreciate that.

• catharinebramkamp
    Posted on October 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I think for some people the tribe totally works, and it’s a great idea! And and the goal now is to figure out what is more comfortable and natural for you, for me, for anyone trying to work in this new medium. I’m giving twitter duties over to Damien!