Blog Tour Stop for Sisters Born, Sisters Found

By CBramkamp Newbie Guide 15 Comments on Blog Tour Stop for Sisters Born, Sisters Found

Sisters Born, Sisters FoundWe are here on blog tour with the authors of Sisters Born, Sisters Found

Vicki Batman contributed a memoir piece Sister Act (p. 40). I am posting our interview with Vicki here. Check out the whole collection on Amazon – 22 five star reviews!

Christmas Tree

I loved your description of the perfect Christmas in your story Sister Act. Do you cherish the memories of the perfect Christmas and leave it at that,  or do you work hard to re-create the same holiday happiness for your boys?

I always wanted wonderful times for my boys. Every year, we traveled to the Christmas tree farm and chopped our tree, tying it to the roof rack and setting it up in our living room. Imagine my surprise when my men decided that White Christmas was a silly musical! I was a little disappointed but reconciled that it’s a “boy” thing. Since then, I announce what special show I am watching and give them a look sure to set a little guilt to root in them. LOL White Christmas poster

You’ve worked in many different fields in many different jobs – what brought you to writing? Every since I read Dick Francis mysteries, I wanted to write. It just took me a longggg time to get brave enough to try. So when a friend pushed me, I secretly took on the challenge and wrote eight chapters. She said to keep going and I did. BTW, she gladly takes credit.

What is one of your favorite employment stories? (Anyone fall off an amusement ride? Anyone eaten by sharks – which applies both to the beach and to the wealth management office) Most people are surprised when I say I worked at an amusement park. My second year, I worked in Maintenance as a dispatcher, saying, “Maintenance to Unit 17. 401 264.” The guys thought my voice sexy. LOL. As for the shark at the wealth management firm–Handsome started his own business years ago. When the first check came in, we all yelled, cheered and danced!

Tell me more about your stories and how they made it to publication. After years of actively pursuing getting my romantic comedy mystery, Temporarily Employed published, I began critiquing with a friend. She sent six very short fiction pieces and after reading them, I guess osmosis set in for I began writing them too. She suggested sending them to the magazines. I did and they published thirteen of them. They are funny! Then I turned to e-publishing and indie pubbing. And good news abounded when The Wild Rose Press published Temporarily Employed.

What would you tell a Newbie Writer about craft and then what advice would you give him or her about getting short stories published? As for advice — never give up. Be persistent. Believe in yourself. As for publishing short fiction–do it. There are many venues. You may not always get an acceptance; so find another spot and try again.

Anything else you want to add to the blog tour? I am thrilled to be part of Sisters Born, Sisters Found and to share my memory of Christmas Eve with my sisters.

Sisters

Vicki Batman sassy writer of sexy and funny fiction

New job. New love. And murder.  Temporarily Employed
 This Christmas is disastrous.        Holiday Disaster in Season of Magic

Handbags, Books…Whatever  *  Plotting Princesses  *  Twitter  *  Facebook  *  Pinterest

• Janie Emaus
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 2:45 am

I’m so thrilled to be in this wonderful collection with Vicki and so many other great writers. Great interview!

• Patricia Yager Delagrange
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 2:52 am

Congratulations on having your story in this anthology. Wow! I know what you mean about boys and Christmas. For some reason while my son was in his teens he didn’t understand why we wanted him to stick around on Christmas Eve. He broke my heart for several years until I think now, at 20, he gets it. I try to instill a sense of family into my two kids and it can be hard sometimes.

• Vicki Batman
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 3:03 am

Good morning, Catharine and thank you so much for hostessing moi and letting me share a bit about sisters, Christmas, and Sisters Born, Sisters Found.

• Vicki Batman
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 3:56 am

Hi, Janie! And I’m thrilled my funny friend is in this book with me. Hugs!!!

Hi, Patty: I would bunk on the couch in front of the tv and have the movie on. Snacks and cats by my side. They would stroll by with a glance or two at the screen. They know mom guilt well. I told Handsome he has to watch holiday specials with me. He said, they’re on DVDs. I said, it’s not the same! Thanks for joining me today.

• Vicki Batman
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 3:56 am

Anyone guess which sister I am?

• CBramkamp
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 4:03 am

You all look so sweet – I can’t tell! But I loved the Christmas story, thank you for such a good interview!

• Vicki Batman
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 4:28 am

Hi, Catharine: Thank you so much and thanks for having me. Hugs!

• melissa keir
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 10:45 am

The book sounds amazing. Thank you for sharing!

• CBramkamp
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 11:00 am

It is amazing! I was Very touched by the stories and poems! A great sister gift, I sent a copy to my “sister”, the subject of the included poem, and yes, she was very touched!

• Vicki Batman
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 11:16 am

Hi, Melissa! Thank you so much. I was thrilled my essay was included. I write essays as a writing exercise and sometimes, can actually get them published. Hugs, my friend.

• Elaine Webster
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 1:24 pm

My advice is to write for yourself. If you like the result then the heck with everyone else. However, it sure is fun when someone else picks up your piece as in Sisters Found, Sisters Born. What a thrill to be in such good company.

• Laura McHale Holland
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 2:51 pm

What a delightful interview with thoughtful questions and spirited answers. Vicki, you exude enthusiasm with a humorous spark. I love your Chistmas story in the book and am now putting Temporarily Employed on my to-read list.

• Angela
    Posted on February 28, 2015 at 11:39 pm

enjoyed the post! best wishes with your book!

• CBramkamp
    Posted on March 1, 2015 at 2:22 am

Thank you for stopping by the blog! I appreciate the enthusiasm and support this collection has engendered. What a great group of authors to be associated with!

• Vicki Batman
    Posted on March 1, 2015 at 3:32 am

Hi, Elaine! I agree. When I didn’t sell my book at first, I determined to have fun with short stories and all the avenues which had opened with that publication. I’ve sold around 25-ish. And am happy and will be writing more. I love being in short fiction anthologies.

Hi, Laura! Thank you so much. Having fun is a lot more enjoyable way to go through life. And I’m thrilled you want to read TE. Let me know your thoughts. Hugs!!!

Hi, Angela! You are the best. Always sharing and commenting. I truly appreciate your friendship. Hugs. Many hugs.